The Bridge of Sighs connecting the Allegheny County Courthouse to the Allegheny County Jail crossed Ross Street between Forbes Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Detainees could be escorted from court over the bridge to jail. It was part of the complex that was designed by noted architect H.H. Richardson.
Bridge of Sighs
Gelatin Silver Print/ 8" x 10"
The current Smithfield St. Bridge by Lindenthal replaced the Smithfield Street suspension bridge, designed by John Roebling and built in 1846. The new bridge, built above and around the old, is the third on this site. Lewis Wernwag built the first crossing bridge in Pittsburgh, the covered wooden Monongahela Bridge, in 1818.